Introduction: Liposuction of The Chin
As we age, submental fullness and the accumulation of fat under the chin can develop thus resulting in the desire to undergo liposuction of the chin. Even individuals at an optimal weight can be bothered by these stubborn fat pockets. If you are considering treatments to better define the chin and upper neck region, chin liposuction may be an option to discuss with a cosmetic or plastic surgeon. Here is an in-depth look at how chin liposuction can recontour this delicate facial area.
Overview: What is Chin Liposuction?
Chin liposuction is a body contouring surgical procedure that specifically targets and removes the excess fat deposits underneath and around the chin and upper neck (ASPS, 2022). It is sometimes referred to as submental liposuction or neck liposuction as well.
During chin liposuction, a small incision is made under the chin allowing the plastic surgeon access to suction out the unwanted pockets of fat with a cannula. When performed skillfully, dramatic yet natural-looking improvements in definition along the jawline and upper neck can be achieved.
What Causes Submental Fullness and “Double Chin”?
There are several contributing factors to submental fat accumulation, including:
- Genetics and natural aging – Some individuals are predisposed to storing fat in this area as they get older (Frank, 2022).
- Weight gain – General weight gain can translate to increased fat deposits around the chin.
- Posture changes – Poor head and neck posture over time can lead to soft tissue strain in this area.
- Loss of elasticity – Skin loses its firmness and elasticity as collagen breaks down.
Even individuals at an ideal weight can develop unwanted fat under the chin as they age.
How Does Chin Liposuction Improve the Area?
The effects of chin liposuction include (Hanikeri, 2012):
- Reducing the appearance of fullness under the chin
- More definition along the jawline
- A slimmer-looking neck and tighter chin-neck contour
- Smoother jawline to neck transition
- More youthful facial profile overall
When combined with adjunct treatments like Morpheus8, results can be further enhanced with subtle skin tightening.
Who is an Ideal Candidate For Chin Liposuction?
The best candidates for chin liposuction are those who (ASPS, 2022):
- Have isolated fat under the chin that is unresponsive to weight loss efforts
- Are bothered by modest to moderate submental fullness or sagging
- Do not have severe excess skin or extreme volume to be reduced
- Are generally in good health without conditions impairing healing
- Have realistic expectations about the procedure’s capabilities and limitations
A skilled surgeon helps determine if you meet the criteria during consultations.
What is the Chin Liposuction Procedure Like?
The steps involved in the chin liposuction procedure are:
- Marking the submental treatment zone pre-op
- Administering general anesthesia or local anesthesia with IV sedation
- Making a small 1-2cm incision under the chin
- Inserting a cannula and suctioning system
- Meticulously evacuating excess fat deposits through controlled back-and-forth motions
- Optional laser, ultrasound, or power assist for easier fat removal
- Closing the incision sites with absorbable sutures
- Applying dressings and compression wraps
The procedure takes one to two hours depending on the extent of treatment performed.
What is Recovery Like After Chin Liposuction?
Recovery timelines usually involve (Momeni, 2021):
- Wearing a chin compression garment for 2 to 4 weeks
- Keeping incisions clean while healing using antibiotic ointment
- Taking prescription pain relievers as needed for discomfort
- Experiencing bruising and swelling for up to 10 days
- Avoiding strenuous activity for about 2 weeks
- Returning to work within 7 to 10 days for most patients
- Resuming light exercise after 2 weeks
Following all post-op protocols helps ensure smooth, comfortable healing.
How Long Do Chin Liposuction Results Last?
When performed by an expert plastic surgeon, the results of chin liposuction can be very long-lasting. However, staying close to a stable body weight is important for optimal longevity. Significant weight fluctuations after the procedure can impact results. Some patients may opt to undergo periodic touch-up chin liposuction in the years following their initial treatment to sustain their desired contour. But for most, initial results are permanent when properly maintained through lifestyle.
What if there is redundant skin?
Liposuction of the chin can provide a dramatic improvement in your appearance especially when you are viewed from the side. This is because the neck area can become filled with both fat and redundant skin and thereby blunt your jawline.
To counter the blunting of your chin region, many undergo liposuction of the chin and neck region. However, what if the fullness in your jawline is resulting from redundant skin? If redundant skin is minimal then liposuction alone may accommodate skin redundancy by redraping the redundancy along your neck region. However, if moderate redundancy is present, then additional consideration should be made. A supplemental Renuvion J plasma which uses helium-activated plasma and radiofrequency energy, can be used to tighten the skin. This novel energy is administered through the same single porthole used for liposuction. A sleek wand can traverse the area liposuctioned resulting in contraction of the collagen in the dermis of the skin and underlying fibrous infrastructural cables thereby tightening the skin.
In summary, liposuction of the chin alone is contraindicated in patients who possess extensive skin redundancy. This is because when skin redundancy is not addressed, neck contour results can be compromised. First, Renuvion skin tightening can accommodate minimal to moderate skin redundancy. Patients who present with extensive skin redundancy will benefit from surgical excision of the redundant neck skin termed a neck lift. Neck lifts do require more invasive surgery as well as general anesthesia. If you are interested in liposuction of the chin but are concerned about skin redundancy, a complimentary consultation with one of our high-definition liposuction center expert surgeons will help you choose the appropriate rejuvenating chin procedure for you.
Conclusion: Liposuction of the Chin
For those seeking neck rejuvenation, liposuction of the chin can be performed skillfully providing an effective solution for reducing submental volume and sculpting a more flattering neckline. Taking time to consult board-certified cosmetic or plastic surgeons helps set accurate expectations. With an experienced surgical team, chin liposuction can deliver very satisfying, natural-looking improvements in chin and neck contours.